Saturday, December 28, 2013

Patience is One of the Best Things I Know

I no longer understand impatience. 

At this moment, I am sitting on a tiny Southwest Airlines flight to New Orleans scheduled to leave at 10:10am. It is now 11:04am and we are still in gate C37 at DIA. I can feel the tension in the small cabin as people around me get irritated and start to complain about the delay. 

Last year, I made a resolution to be more patient. 

Unlike many other past resolutions I have made, this one actually held true. Throughout the past year, every time I got stuck at a long red light or had to wait in a super long line or sat on a delayed flight, I told myself not to worry about it, just enjoy the moment. I took the opportunity to enjoy that song on the car radio, the chance just to sit and think, the opportunity to people watch. 

I realized that getting fidgety or upset over something taking longer than expected wasn't going to make it go any faster. Honestly, the only effect that would come out of my impatience would be stress for myself and stress for those around me. Isn't it better to just accept that it's going to take longer, deal with the inconveniences, and remain calm and happy? 

Next time you're stuck at a light or are waiting in line, try taking a deep breath and enjoying the moment. I think you'll be surprised. 


No comments:

Post a Comment