Saturday, December 28, 2013

The Small Smile of Travel

There's something about traveling. 

Yes, of course, as everyone says the destination and seeing new places is always joyously fantastic and that's why people do it and love it. Heck, that's why I love it! But that's not what I'm talking about here. 

I absolutely love traveling. Without a doubt, I just want to travel endlessly and for the rest of my life. But there's something else about travel, and it's not the beginning preparations or the things you do while away, it's the return home. I cannot say that it is my favorite part, but there's something about it that always hits me when I pass that "Welcome to Colorful Colorado" sign on a road trip or when the flight captain announces our decent into Denver International Airport. It's a small smile inside me that comes through and tells me that this is home. It's hard to find such appreciation for a place you know is home until you've left and come back. 

Maybe one day I will have the blessing to find another place as wonderful as Colorado to call home. Then, that small smile inside me will know more than one joyous secret hidden inside the conclusion of the fun adventure we all love and know as travel. 


1 comment: