Monday, October 21, 2013

Follow Up: Life's Purpose

Sometimes, we just need to simplify. And sometimes, the best way to do this is to take a step back and boil it down to the fewest terms possible. Therefore, this post will be (or try to be) short and sweet. 

A few months ago, I wrote a post about the specific purpose(s) in one's life; mainly concerning the goals and accomplishments of an individual's future. I still stand by and hold the opinion expressed in that post, however I think it is is less complicated that I originally thought. There is still immeasurable depth to the question, but also a very simple, blanket answer depending on what (or whom) you put your faith in. 

According to 1 Corinthians 10:31, all our actions should be for God's glory:

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

 There you go! Purpose? To glorify God. 

But how does one go about this? As a Christian, I feel like there have been hundreds of things that I have been told from tons of people on how to live a "good Christian" life. Don't get me wrong, many of these things are fantastic and are conducive to good citizenship, etc.; however, not all are direct from God and sometimes, I feel like we get too caught up in our "Christian-ese" mindsets. I honestly try to steer clear of setting "rules for life." They are often too objective to function in the real world and often contradict each other. Instead, I personally try to stick to the commandments given to us from God and the scriptures that speak in terms of our behavior - not necessarily our deeds. Again, simply put,

Micah 6:8
"But he’s already made it plain how to live, what to do,what God is looking for in men and women. It’s quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, And don’t take yourself too seriously—take God seriously."
If you have read this far in this soap-box-post, snaps for you and thank you for doing so! But at this point you may be thinking, "Ok, cool, Kristina. This is what you believe, but I don't really buy into this kind of stuff." To this, I'd like to touch on what I referred to earlier when I said "to whom or what you put your faith in." Rather than me ranting and talking about all the different angles one could look from, I want to challenge you, dedicated reader, to take a moment and determine what it is you put your faith in. What is it you put stock in? Find security in? Is it humanity? Hard work? Money? School? How about friends? Family? Food? The government? Religion? Relationships? Or is it a faith in God? Is it a faith in yourself

Every single one of these things definitely has a beautiful side to it, and each one should have a share in your attention, but if you have your faith in it - your true dependent faith - you are, in essence, glorifying it. 

So what is it you want to glorify in your life? As always, to each his own. But whatever it is you wish to glorify, I hope it brings you the purest form of joy. 

And believe me, when you find this joy, you'll know it instinctively. 

No comments:

Post a Comment